5.20.2009

Edward Lear knows Dongs

"The Dong! the Dong!The wandering Dong through the forest goes!The Dong! the Dong!The Dong with a luminous Nose!"
-courtesy Ben Courtney
Why am I spontaneously quoting nonsense from 1894? Because I got the Yonghy-Bonghy-Bo in my inbox today. Well, technically my spam file, since Google's good about that, but I still check my spam for... irregularities. And I still play Elder God or Anime Name, so it's all good.

And then I hit: 
Built it up with wood and clay
The plainer than ever it seems to me
- Of the Yonghy-Bonghy-Bo
 The water it soon came in, it did
[link]
-Of the Quangle Wangle Quee.
 On the Coast of Coromandel

and,

Sits the Lady Jingly Jones!
London Bridge has fallen down
-And no end of Stilton Cheese.
 They whistled and warbled a moony song
[link]
-London Bridge has fallen down
-For the sky is dark, and the voyage is long

Now I've opined on the combination of blank-verse and sci-fi cut-ups that spambots use to seem like humanoids, but I think this is the first time I'v seen full chunks of poems used to this effect. Why the quote about Dongs? Paradoxically, with filters being in place, it'll be the only poem that won't meet this fate.

For those keeping score:
Futrell Renate
Gannon Sprinkle

Anime Characters are winning.